Tuesday 18 October 2011

THE WEATHER IN WINTERPEG PROMISES TO BE FAIR

I am beginning to realize that getting the snow tires put on the car, packing extra water, a sleeping bag AND a candle and matches was not the height of folly. Forearmed is forewarned and we have had our first taste of frost. However, the weather for the game on Saturday afternoon promises to be ideal for football.

Sitting in the lobby of the Mainstay Suites at the computer station I overhear an American lady from the south exclaim that there has been 20 cm of snow in Gillam, Manitoba.

American Lady: I have no idea in hell what a centimeter is.

Young Lady at the desk: It's not a lot. If you dress warmly you should be OK.

As it turns out the American Lady is about to fly to Churchill and then head on to Gillam to see whales, birds, polar bears and Arctic wildflowers. (At this time of year!? I think.) Apparently, it is even possible for the intrepid tourist to go snorkling with the bears! Our Southern friend (who hails for Oklahoma, I did the  research ) checked out this tidbit of information three times for herself. There are, after all, limits to a person's credulity.

Okay, so maybe I will wear my leotards under my slacks, my tee shirt under my turtle neck, and put on my sheepskin jacket, woolen hat, scarf and mittens for the game. You never know when a snow storm might blow in. After all, I did spend the first 10 years of my life in Edmonton, Viking, Tofield and Wetaskiwin and there are some survival skills that stay imprinted.

Tonight, The Author and The Kid are signing books at McNally Robinson.  Today a reporter from The Sun is coming to interview The Kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment